Sunday, February 19, 2006

The (Sexually) Liberated versus the Prostituted Woman

Who is "cheap"?

Don't get me wrong. To be honest, I never thought that prostituted women are "cheap" for the way they make their living. Some behaviors of some of them, yes. The image that comes to mind when someone says "prostitute" (forgive me for using that politically incorrect term :P), is someone engaging in shouting matches with another, with all kinds of pagmumura in abundance. That is cheap.

Likewise, for the sexually liberated woman. Every person has the right to live her life the way she wants it.

---------------
In one of our frequent discussions over coffee, my favorite male cousin said, "I really think women who engage in one-night sexual affairs are cheaper than prostitutes." Ting.

"Why do you think so?" I asked.

"Well, for one thing, prostitutes get paid for their services. Thus, their services are more valuable compared to those which are given for free." He answered. "Well, you have a point. It's human nature to give more value to something he/she "paid" for compared to something he got for free. But I don't agree with you. I think both kinds do not have enough commonality for a comparison between them to be valid." I stated. "You are overlooking the fact that those so-called liberated women chose to engage in one-night affairs. It's the key word. They have autonomy over their situation. They did not have to engage in a one-night stand. They wanted to. Maybe in some cases, needed to. But for a completely different reason. The prostitutes did not have a choice."

"Maybe you're politically right. But we (men), and the rest of society for that matter think that their being a woman is basis enough for comparison. And you said it yourself, she just "wanted" to. Don't you think that speaks volumes? It's merely for pleasure. For the prostitute, it's for survival. I still say, the woman who engages in one-night affairs is cheap. The prostitute is not. The cheap one is the male who uses a prostitute." *smug grin*

"Hey, that's as good as saying the liberated woman's motivation is less important than the prostitute's! The two women have different value systems. And you simply can not compare which is a better value system... But I agree with your last statement." I countered. Whew.

"Ah well, let's change the topic..." LOL
---------------

Well cousin, lol you know you are my closest and favourite. I am certain I know you well enough to know what you're trying to do. Thank you sincerely for your concern, and insight.

But I want to think for myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home