Sunday, February 19, 2006

Why do you cry when a lovedone dies?

When a friend asked me that, I reflexively thought it was a silly question. At the same time, I got a bit confused. I mean, why would you ask someone that? Every person knows why, right?

I answered her anyway. "I cry because I loved that person, and I'm not gonna be able to spend time with him/her again, or see him because he died! Also, I mourn because once again, I am made to notice how unpredictable, and short life could be." To my surprise she said, "Yeah, is that all? Amazing." "Huh? What's amazing about that?" She answered, "You see, the extent to which a person's selfishness can reach is amazing! The person you loved died. But you still think about YOU- your feelings, yourself. It's always about you. Have you even thought of the person you are crying over?"

Well, I haven't looked at it that way before. But I see she has a point. However, when I'm in a funeral, my grandmother's for instance, I can't stop myself from crying. I can feel my heart clench, and my stomach protest. "Is this gonna be the last time I'll see her, for real?" Selfish or not, I need to cry! It wouldn't be bearable if I won't.

Why do you (yeah, I'm actually asking you lol :P) cry when your lovedone dies? Hey, do you even think of your reasons?

3 Comments:

Blogger Nico said...

i don't think it's being selfish when you cry when someone you love dies. heck, when something tragic happens to other people (like the tsunami or the people in leyte) we feel bad right? some people even cry. and that's not being selfish we don't know them yet we feel sorry and we mourn for them. so what more if someone really close, someone you really love dies? i think that's just a stupid opinion, to think that it's selfish to cry when someone dies.

5:12 AM  
Blogger inez said...

nico: wow, you're here! yiheee! lol thankish nics! ;P

i'm still lightheaded at the moment, and can't think straight. lol i'm gonna get back to you with my defense (?!) asap! ;D

3:48 AM  
Blogger inez said...

oh well. i just got back. lol so late.

i understand your point. but i think what my friend is trying to say is that THINGS, EVENTS, SITUATIONS, ETC SHOULD NOT BE ALWAYS ABOUT YOU/OURSELVES. for instance, when a lovedone dies, why can't you think about him/her, instead of thinking about you or what it'll do to you? sometimes, the other way could even be more beneficial to you.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home